Advice for LGBT people in Scotland on dealing with discrimination from businesses, including information about complaints and legal advice
Log in
What you can do

Take action against discrimination

Information on how to take action against discrimination from a provider of goods, facilities or services

This will very much depend on the service provider in question. The law relating to goods and services discrimination is civil law. It is therefore not something the police can take forward.

You could:

  • Make a formal complaint directly to the service provider/manager to highlight the discrimination
  • If there is a complaints procedure to follow (for example, for the NHS or for schools) follow this through
  • If there is a relevant regulatory body or Head Office for the service provider, you could contact them
  • The service provider may need to be taken to court to gain redress (which will generally be compensation-based), in which case you could seek legal advice