Take action | Scotland
Log in
What you can do

Take action

If you feel you have been treated unfairly or discriminated against by a public service provider because you are LGBT, there are a number of options that you can consider.

Firstly, you could try to resolve the matter directly with the organisation involved. For example, you could write to the manager, and possibly to the head office of the organisation.

  • If you have been discriminated against by an NHS service, you will need to use make the complaint directly to the Health Board or GP surgery involved. Please find details of your health board here
  • Police Scotland has its own complaints procedure.
  • Every local authority will have their own complaints departments - see your local authority website for details.

You can also find out more on how to complain about a public service on the Scottish Public Service Ombudsman website here .

Should you not receive a satisfactory response from the organisation you are complaining to directly, then you could consult a solicitor and find out whether you could pursue a complaint through the civil courts.

You may find it useful to keep a diary of events and communication in relation to your complaint, and to keep hold of any evidence - screen shots of social media, and copies of letters and emails, and details of any verbal communication.