Take action | Scotland
Log in
What you can do

Take action

If you feel that your child is being discriminated against or bullied due to their or your sexual orientation or gender identity there are a number of things you can do:

  • Talk to the student’s teacher, head of year, or Head Teacher about the bullying. Ask them to take steps to resolve the matter. Remember that they have a legal duty to do so.
  • It may be useful to keep a record of bullying incidents, such as a diary, and any evidence of what has occurred. This might include, for example, screen shots of social media abuse or text messages.
  • If the matter is still not resolved, go to your Local Authority and ask them to take steps (if appropriate)

Stonewall Scotland has produced guides and developed training to help schools tackle homophobic bullying [link to ed pages]

Further information

Govan Law Centre's Education Law Unit can provide advice for people who are experiencing discrimination at school, college or university, visit www.edlaw.org.uk for more information.

Citizens' Advice Scotland - contact details for your local Citizens Advice Bureau can be found here